cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: GRE Isolation Performance
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 19:22:10 GMT
Hi David,

I haven’t used GRE myself, but I do know that performance wise you need something that offloads
to the nic, as with vlan tagging (instead of having the cpu do all the work). Did you consider
VXLAN? That has nic offloading support in most nics these days. We are using STT (also does
offloading) with Nicira and it is very fast. If I had to build again, I’d investigate VXLAN.

Regards,
Remi

On 04/11/15 12:31, "David Amorín" <david.amorin@adderglobal.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>We are working in an environment with CS 4.5.2 / XenServer 6.5 with multiple zones (Spain
and Netherlands) using GRE Isolation and we have some concerns that we would like to share
with you. Basically, we make a CPU benchmark between VLAN isolation and GRE isolation and
the results show us that the consumption of CPU with GRE isolation is too much compared with
VLAN isolation.

>Can anyone share with us the experience working with GRE isolation?
>

>We are not sure if this configuration in production will be safe, scalable and with an
acceptable level of performance.