cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: Re[2]: GRE Isolation Performance
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2015 08:50:27 GMT
Hi David,

All I know is that you need NSX-mh (multi hypervisor version) and that works with KVM and
xenserver.

The licensing options changed a lot since it became VMware.

Also checkout Nuage, they are actively maintaining and supporting their plugin (whereas the
Nicira plugin was made by the community).

Both controllers need to be licensed so that brings in extra costs one way or the other. But
they also bring in many new features not possible without SDN.

Regards, Remi

Sent from my iPhone

> On 05 Nov 2015, at 08:25, David Amorín <david.amorin@adderglobal.com> wrote:
>
> Remi,Can you please confirm the cost of Nicira (VMware NSX) aprox.?  I saw that they
offer a perpetual license per CPU socket $6K each one. Is that correct?

> http://searchsdn.techtarget.com/news/2240222952/VMware-NSX-price-finally-published-as-channel-starts-selling
>
> DA

that offloads to the nic, as with vlan tagging (instead of having the cpu do all the work).
Did you consider VXLAN? That has nic offloading support in most nics these days. We are using
STT (also does offloading) with Nicira and it is very fast. If I had to build again, I’d
investigate VXLAN.

>> Regards,
>> Remi
>>

>>> On 04/11/15 12:31, "David Amorín" <david.amorin@adderglobal.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> We are working in an environment with CS 4.5.2 / XenServer 6.5 with multiple
zones (Spain and Netherlands) using GRE Isolation and we have some concerns that we would
like to share with you. Basically, we make a CPU benchmark between VLAN isolation and GRE
isolation and the results show us that the consumption of CPU with GRE isolation is too much
compared with VLAN isolation.

>>> Can anyone share with us the experience working with GRE isolation?
>>>

>>> We are not sure if this configuration in production will be safe, scalable and
with an acceptable level of performance.