cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack KVM VM Load Balancing
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 08:16:04 GMT
Hi Özhan,

“Load balancing” is probably not the right term here - this is similar to
the VMWare DRS initial placement - but it is not load based.
The placement of a VM is determined by your vm.allocation.algorithm global
setting. If you check this you’ll find the following five options:

- random: Random host chosen.
- firstfit: places the VM on the first host *with available capacity*
- userdispersing: spreads the users VMs across hosts / clusters,
effectively gives better resilience for the end users VMs
- userconcentratedpod_random: concentrates the users VMs on the same pod,
but places them at random within that pod
- userconcentratedpod_firstfit: concentrates the users VMs on the same
pod, but picks the first host with available capacity

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect