cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com>
Subject Re: Migration among hypervisors
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 19:41:55 GMT
I have successfully moved a bunch of vms from xenserver to kvm without any issues. The only
thing that i had to change was the fstab entries where I have not used UUIDs. From what i
recall i had /dev/xvdX device naming in the xenserver and /dev/vdaX in kvm.

Andrei
----- Original Message -----

From: "Dag Sonstebo" <Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com>
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Sent: Monday, 19 October, 2015 9:21:07 AM
Subject: Re: Migration among hypervisors

Hi Mario,

you might also want to look at some of the other vendor converters -
depending on which HV you are converting to:

https://www.citrix.com/go/products/xenserver/xenserver-xenconvert-free.html
http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/converter
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=42497

Nux¹ comments still stand though - whatever migration method you use you
will have to sort HV specific drivers and tools as part of the conversion
- which sometimes involve some surgery.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
ShapeBlue

On 18/10/2015 11:01, "Nux!" <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:

>Hello Mario,
>
>It depends, you could export this VM as a template, convert it with
>qemu-img or virtualbox and then import it in your Xenserver installation.
>Whether the VM will boot on the new (virtual) hardware, you will need to
>make sure the initrd (assuming Linux) contains the block device driver
>(xenblk?) for the new hypervisor.
>
>So, it is possible, but not simple.
>
>--
>Sent from the Delta quadrant using Borg technology!
>
>Nux!
>www.nux.ro

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.