cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com>
Subject Re: ACS 4.5.2 + KVM + Ceph - Template Creation is broken
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:32:31 GMT
Right, i've done some more testing and here are my results:

1. The template creation from the GUI seem to be broken either by using Volume > Template
method or by using Volume > Snapshot > Template.

2. Manual creation of templates work by doing: Volume > Download (Save locally) > Register
template (upload locally downloaded volume image).

The manual way produces a fully working with correct disk image size template that can be
used to create new vm guests. However, it is a rather time consuming method, especially for
larger volumes.

Andrei
----- Original Message -----

From: "Andrei Mikhailovsky" <andrei@arhont.com>
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, 22 October, 2015 10:57:06 AM
Subject: Re: ACS 4.5.2 + KVM + Ceph - Template Creation is broken

Hi Erik,

The ceph itself does not have a concept of templates as such, so it would be hard to create
the templates outside of cloudstack. I think the only requirement of ceph here would be the
ability to create a volume (which it can do successfully already as I am able to create new
vm instances) and create a clone from volume, which would be how I imagine ACS would do it
when creating a new instance from a template.

These things are working fine as I can see from being able to create system vms. So, from
what it seems, something must be broken when ACS tries to create a template.

I will try to do more digging to verify this issue.

Could someone one please confirm that they are able to create templates from volumes and snapshots
on ACS and Ceph?

Many thanks