cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com>
Subject snapshots pruning with ACS and Ceph
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 23:06:49 GMT
Hello guys,

I have a question on cleaning old snapshots with ceph rbd primary storage. In particular,
how does ACS clean/delete snapshots on the backend storage when the are manually or automatically
removed from ACS.

I've noticed that I am having tons of leftover snapshots on ceph backend. As an example, i
have a volume which is being automatically snapshot (created via acs gui - recurring snapshots)
every week. I keep only 4 snapshots and all the old snaps should be removed. According to
the ACS GUI, the old snapshots are indeed removed and I can only see the last four snapshots.

However, my primary storage tells a different story. For this particular volume I have over
40 snapshots on the primary storage. That looks very odd to me and here is the question. Should
ceph have deleted the snapshots on the primary storage as well and only kept the latest four
snapshots?

If so, how do I remove the old snapshots? I have around 800-850 snapshots on my primary storage
and I am only doing recurring snapshots for about 15 volumes. Most of my volumes are on a
weekly snapshot, keeping 4 snapshots. Thus, I should not have more than 45-60 snapshots at
any point in time and definitely nowhere near 800-850 which I seem to currently have.

Thanks

Andrei