cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Todd Pigram <t...@toddpigram.com>
Subject Re: How to configure cloudstack for public use
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2015 01:39:23 GMT
Luis,

As some who bypasses the VR and uses pfsense, I highly recommend that you use ADV zones and
use true public IP on the public interface.

In my case I was required to create a custom VR that only has source NAT and an internal IP
for public. The only issue is access to the console as you will be Nat'ing a source NAT.
I have also had to do this with a Cisco Meraki MX80 and it has the same issues.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 2:50 PM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>
> Luis,
>
>     Cloudstack is already meant to be public cloud provider software. There is no specific
configuration for that. It has its own limitations, but majority of the tasks can be accomplished
out of the box (I mean NAT, SNAT, IP allocation, firewall, user management, VM management,
etc.).

>     Basic zone provides simple network architecture for the clients while advance zone
has VPC option to offer. If you are going to offer IAAS -- you should implement advanced zone.
Advance zone is more complicated.

>     External hardware devices may improve your set-up or performance, but for PfSence
there is no plug-in for cloudstack available so you can't manage it from CS. I can't say if
it is worth to use it at your future set-up. Cloudstack manages public IPs and does NAT, so
you hardly need anything else to do it. For VPC you need external switch that manages VLANS.
May be you can use pfSence for that.

>  Regards,
>
> Vadim
>
>> On 2015-09-29 17:01, Luis wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I hope you can help me or give me an idea with this request
>> I have a client requesting me to install cloudstack but the client wants to be able
to do what a norma ISP does when selling a VM, let users choose what they want and assign
publics IP.
>> I will appreciate your comments or ideas.
>> This are a couple of questions I have.1.- Should I use advance zone for the Installation?2.-
Can I use a pool of Public IP on cloudstack to be assigned on VM facing Internet?3.- I have
PFSense in front of Cloudstack, should I let it handle the Public IP's and nat to a private
IP?4.- Is there any open source tool that can monitor or limit the bandwidth for cloudstack?