cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Tim Mackey <tmac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Packer and CloudStack
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:39:42 GMT
Hany,

It does require a XenServer host, call it a "build host", but that host can
be anywhere including local to you (actually preferable).  The "build host"
also doesn't have to even remotely match the capabilities of the hosts in
the CloudStack instance, including things like storage and networking.

The idea is that you create your VM locally to your specifications, and
then upload it into whatever XenServer backed CloudStack instance you're
using.  If you happen to know what you want and can define it in a
kickstart file, then go with xenserver-iso and let it do all the heavy
lifting.  If you might need to tweak on stuff, create the VM within
XenServer and do the tweaking, then when you're happy use xenserver-vm to
do all the heavy lifting.  There is also an intermediate stage which uses
both paths, but that doesn't sound like it would work for you.

I'm happy to walk you through this in a bit more detail, either here on the
list or if you want something a bit more interactive, I'm @xenserverarmy on
Twitter

-tim