cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Todd Pigram <t...@toddpigram.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Scalable Template issue
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2015 16:44:05 GMT
Vadium,

After installing XS62ESP1028 via CLI (no reboot on hosts yet) and building an Centos65 instance
w/o ‘Dynamic Scalable’ option checked, it showed right in XenCenter. I installed the new
tools from (XS62ESP1028) and still good. I created a template from this instance. Deployed
said template, and the memory is still good in XenCenter.

I tested on a Windows VM and it is the same with the new tools, however, as this particular
tenant bypasses the virtual router, I have to reboot twice and reset networking as the new
XenTools reset the networking stack.

Todd Pigram
http://about.me/ToddPigram <http://about.me/ToddPigram>
www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/>
@pigram86 on twitter
https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86 <https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86>
Mobile - 216-224-5769

PGP Public Key <http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96B7B0F0C55933BB>
> On Sep 6, 2015, at 4:57 AM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>
> Todd,
>
>      Can you try Linux template with same dynamic scale option on the same pool? I wonder
if there is a problem with Windows or any guest OS.

> Regards,
>
> Vadim.
>
> On 2015-09-05 21:04, Todd Pigram wrote:
>
>> Vadium
>> That makes sense. I will see if I can replicate the issue in a lab. But given the
holiday weekend, might not be until next week
>> On Saturday, September 5, 2015, Vadim Kimlaychuk <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>> Todd,
>> I have seeing similar problem with Xen 4.1 (not XenServer). Linux guests were able
to see (and use) entire host resources on any guest VM. That was a bug of configuration. If
you think about what could be different after CS update - it could be VM registration procedure.
Still guest VM should not be able to see static max. Your XenCenter shows that effective dynamic
VM memory size is 8Gb while maximium is 32Gb. So CS configured VM guest correctly. This is
problem of hypervisor <-> guest VM communitcation. That is why I asked you to try to
register VM manually. I believe you will have the same result. Than means your server pool
of XS62ESP1027 is broken. 3 other pools are not. I see no reason to update to 4.5.1, because
I think this is not the problem of CS, but particularly this XenServer pool + this type of
Windows guest (if other templates with dynamic offer are good).
>> Vadim.
>> On 2015-09-05 14:45, Todd Pigram wrote:
>> Vadim
>> I have 3 other pools (1 XS6.2sp1 and 2x xs65sp1) I have no issue with these.
>> Based on the Design doc, what i was experiencing is by design. Ok I will turn it
off.
>> But now my question is, why on 4.3 I didn't have this issue but after installing
4.3.0.2 it changed.
>> Was 4.3 broken or is 4.3.0.2? Will upgrading to CCP 4.5.1 will be better?
>> If this is truely by design, I will not be able to use dynamic scalable for my windows
instances
>> On Saturday, September 5, 2015, Vadim Kimlaychuk <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>> Todd,
>> You may try to create VM at XenServer without CloudStack just using XE tool (or XenCenter).
If your manually created VM with static max <> dynamic max will be OK, then there is
a problem with Cloudstack.
>> Vadim.
>> On 2015-09-04 21:51, Todd Pigram wrote:
>> Latest as of XS62ESP1027. I know XS62ESP1028 comes with new XenTools.
>> On Friday, September 4, 2015, Vadim Kimlaychuk <vadim@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>> I am afraid this issue has nothing to do with Cloudstack. If VM "sees"
>> maximum memory size available instead of effective -- this is problem of
>> hypervisor and/or guest utilities. Do you have guest utilities that come
>> with XenServer version or older in your template?
>> Vadim.
>> On 2015-09-04 19:34, Todd Pigram wrote:
>> Ok. After rebooting the instance still no change after disabling globally. I modified
all my templates to remove 'Dynamic Scalable', then I have to
<http://about.me/ToddPigram [1] [1] [1] [1 [1]] <http://about.me/ToddPigram%20[1]%20[1]%20[1]%20[1%20[1]]>>
>> www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/> [2]
[2] [2] [2 [2]] <
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/>
[2] [2] [2] [2 [2]]>
>> @pigram86 on twitter
>> https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86 <https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86>
[3] [3] [3] [3 [3]] <
>> https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86 <https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86>
[3] [3] [3] [3 [3]]>
>> Mobile - 216-224-5769
>> PGP Public Key <
>> http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96B7B0F0C55933BB <http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96B7B0F0C55933BB>
[4] [4] [4] [4 [5]]> On
>> Sep 4, 2015, at 12:04 PM, Todd Pigram <todd@toddpigram.com <mailto:todd@toddpigram.com>>
wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> Just funny that on CCP 4.3 it wasn't an issue and only after upgrading to
>> 4.3.0.2 and a host reboot did it change my instances.
>> This issue is that the instance below is a SQL server. As Windows see
>> 32GB, it shows the used RAM in windows as 31.6GB. The Server only has 8GB.
>> That is what really is the issue. Causing slowness for my users.
>> I have set 'enable.dynamic.scale.vm' to false and restarted
>> cloudstack-management. I will reboot an instance that is out of prod and
>> let you know the results.
>> Todd Pigram
>> http://about.me/ToddPigram <http://about.me/ToddPigram> [1] [1] [1] [1 [1]]
<http://about.me/ToddPigram [1] [1] [1] [1 [1]] <http://about.me/ToddPigram%20[1]%20[1]%20[1]%20[1%20[1]]>>
>> www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/> [2]
[2] [2] [2 [2]] <
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/toddpigram/>
[2] [2] [2] [2 [2]]>
>> @pigram86 on twitter
>> https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86 <https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86>
[3] [3] [3] [3 [3]] <
>> https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86 <https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86>
[3] [3] [3] [3 [3]]>
>> Mobile - 216-224-5769
>> PGP Public Key <
>> http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96B7B0F0C55933BB <http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96B7B0F0C55933BB>
[4] [4] [4] [4 [5]]> On
>> Sep 4, 2015, at 11:41 AM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <vadim@kickcloud.net <mailto:vadim@kickcloud.net>
<mailto:
>> vadim@kickcloud.net <mailto:vadim@kickcloud.net>>> wrote:
>> Hello Todd,
>> If I understood you correctly, you wonder why you have static max as 4x
>> of the offering, isn't it? This article should answer your question:
> [...]
[5] [5] [6]
>> [5] <
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Dynamic+scaling+of+CPU+and+RAM#DynamicscalingofCPUandRAM-Xenserver
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Dynamic+scaling+of+CPU+and+RAM#DynamicscalingofCPUandRAM-Xenserver>
[5] [5] [6]
>> [5]>
>> Look chapter for XenServer changes. As it is stated there: static max =
>> f_min (4 * service_offering) / memory_overprovisioning_of_cluster
>> Regards,
>> Vadim.
>> On 2015-09-04 17:41, Todd Pigram wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone has seen similar. I already have a case open.
>> But seeing if the forum has an answer?
>> Issue, Upgraded to CCP 4.3.0.2 back in July. Afterwards everything was
>> great. Hosts rebooted two weeks ago. Any instance built with a template
>> with Dynamic Scalable set to yes, shows in XenCenter as min/max memory as
>> what system offering is but has a Static Max of 4x the RAM.
>> Screen shot of instance built from template with Dynamic Scalable = yes
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8AoU3kQRQjZccdnUrrAIAXjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8AoU3kQRQjZccdnUrrAIAXjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[6] [6] [7]
>> [6 [1]] <
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8AoU3kQRQjZccdnUrrAIAXjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8AoU3kQRQjZccdnUrrAIAXjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[6] [6] [7]
>> [6 [1]]> [1 [6]]
>> XenCenter of same instance
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IATy1WmgkbdYHtfzpOcqVnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IATy1WmgkbdYHtfzpOcqVnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[7] [7] [8]
>> [7 [2]] <
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IATy1WmgkbdYHtfzpOcqVnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IATy1WmgkbdYHtfzpOcqVnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[7] [7] [8]
>> [7 [2]]> [2 [7]]
>> In Windows 2012r2 sees Static Max
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AQ_xkMQhmBsJuKALKJ5vBnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AQ_xkMQhmBsJuKALKJ5vBnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[8] [8] [9]
>> [8 [3]] <
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AQ_xkMQhmBsJuKALKJ5vBnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AQ_xkMQhmBsJuKALKJ5vBnjKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[8] [8] [9]
>> [8 [3]]> [3 [8]]
>> Now if I build a new w2012r2 template without Dynamic Scalable, it works
>> as it should. But I lose the ability to Dynamically scale.
>> Screenshots of instance built form template without Dynamic Scaling and
>> also in XC
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3DorqjATJilaUl-B1_7B_3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3DorqjATJilaUl-B1_7B_3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[9] [9] [10]
>> [9 [5]] <
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3DorqjATJilaUl-B1_7B_3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3DorqjATJilaUl-B1_7B_3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[9] [9] [10]
>> [9 [5]]> [4 [9]]
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QSMuaRocZjk8imkHjfuEH3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QSMuaRocZjk8imkHjfuEH3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[10] [10] [11]
>> [10] <
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QSMuaRocZjk8imkHjfuEH3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink
<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QSMuaRocZjk8imkHjfuEH3jKBWkv3JXG-X1pm5S52Ks?feat=directlink>
[10] [10] [11]
>> [10]> [5 [10]]
>> Anyone aware if this is fixed in CCP/ACS 4.5.1? Has anyone seen this?
>> The XenServer Hosts are patched through XS62ESP1027.
>> Todd Pigram
>> http://about.me/ToddPigram <http://about.me/ToddPigram> [1] [1] [1] [1 [1]]
<http://about.me/ToddPigram [1] [1] [1] [1 [1]] <http://about.me/ToddPigram%20[1]%20[1]%20[1]%20[1%20[1]]>>
[6 [1]]
[2] [2] [2] [2 [2]]> [7 [2]] @pigram86 on twitter
>> https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86 <https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86>
>> https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86 <https://plus.google.com/+ToddPigram86>
[3] [3] [3] [3 [3]]> [8 [3]] Mobile - 216-224-5769