cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Anshul Gangwar <anshul.gang...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL]missing power state reports from hypervisors on VMs ([BLOCKER]?)
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 08:52:26 GMT
Please find my answers inline

Regards,
Anshul

On 16-Sep-2015, at 1:53 PM, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com<mailto:daan.hoogland@gmail.com>>
wrote:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Anshul Gangwar <anshul.gangwar@citrix.com<mailto:anshul.gangwar@citrix.com>>
wrote:

Currently we report only PowerOn VMs and do not report PowerOff VMs that's
why we consider Missing and PowerOff as same

​This is not the behavior reported in the ticket. It is intermittent.​

[Anshul] Your PR is changing this behaviour. It is intermittent because of the ping interval.

And that's how most of the code is written for VM sync and each Hypervisor
resource has same understanding. This will effect HA and many more unknown
places. So please do not even consider to merge this change.

​sure, I will hold. We do need to not regard a missing report the same as
power off however.

[Anshul] Initially this was the case that PowerOff and PowerResportMissing states were different
but later when many issues were reported in vmSync it makes more sense to consider PowerReportMissing
and PowerOff as same.
So if you are thinking of considering these states to be different then make sure you have
considered all these scenarios and tested it on every Hypervisor that we support as each Hypervisor
reports states according to this understanding.

Kaushik can give a better understanding around this.

​

So Now coming to bug we can fix that by changing global setting
pingInterval to appropriate value according to hypervisor settings which
takes care of these transitional period of missing report here or can be
handled by introducing gracePeriod global setting.

​I can see what you are talking about but not what you are saying here. Do
you mean that we need to keep track of ping interval and grace period in
the statemachine for a particular VM?​

[Anshul] Here I am just talking about changing global setting “ping.interval” value or
adding one more global setting for grace period to get more finer control for these kind of
scenarios.

Regards,
Anshul

On 16-Sep-2015, at 1:11 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com><mailto: