cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: KVM Node running out of RAM
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2015 09:51:05 GMT
> This is where i was going with this as well. Keep over-provisioning
> level under 1 and cut of @ 85%.
>
>> - B) Add a new setting for a "host" level "cut off threshold" in
>> addition to the existing "cluster" level threshold.
> This would be a better safeguard. Also, KVM has a setting that would
> restrict how much total memory it can use. Look for kernel argument
> "mem_overcommit".
>
> You can stay under specific threshold to avoid OOMs..

You can also tell the OOMK not to touch the KVM processes, like in this post I've just written:
http://www.nux.ro/archive/2015/07/Protect_KVM_processes_from_OOM_killer.html

In addition KSM (aka "memory deduplication" to simplify it) may help as well at the cost of
extra CPU usage required for page scans/merges.

HTH
Lucian