cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automated Cloud Template Experiences?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:22:12 GMT
On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Rene Moser <mail@renemoser.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am currently building some tooling (Ansible, hint hint) for automating
> the process for providing cloud templates. And it seems to me quite some
> work:
>
> For every Distribution:
> - Downloading ISO
> - Rebuilding ISO with kickstart/preseed and cloud init
> - Make ISO accessible by HTTP
> - CloudStack ISO download
> - Create a VM with that ISO
> - Start VM
> - SSH into the VM and do final configration and cleanup
> - Stop VM
> - Create template from VM
>
> I was wondering how other cloud providers would handle it.

We use packer to handle template building, perhaps you could couple Ansible
with that?

If you don't want to couple with packer, perhaps look at the way it does
things.
It starts a small http server where you host things like kernel, initramfs,
kickstart/preseed, then you boot an ipxe iso which is supplied with
user-data telling it where to fetch things.

It is actually quite brilliant.
Atleast brilliant enough for me to be able to just push some configuration
updates to git and have a new template automatically built :-)

Considering to submit a talk about it to CCCEU

--
Erik