cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wrapping my mind around networking...
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 21:35:13 GMT
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Alex McWhirter <alexmcwhirter@triadic.us>
wrote:

> On 05/28/2015 05:16 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:11 PM, Alex McWhirter <
>> alexmcwhirter@triadic.us>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  I'm working on a private cloud using cloudstack and im stuck on which
>>> networking topology i should chose. Our network is segregated by VLANS
>>> and
>>> each department has it's own VLAN. I want to add each department into
>>> CloudStack as a project and then add users into each project. Each
>>> project
>>> should have it's own VLAN.
>>>
>>> So the KVM hosts have two physical NIC's. One dedicated purely for NFS
>>> and
>>> the other for the rest of the networking.
>>>
>>> eth0 - General networking, VLAN trunk enabled
>>>
>>> eth1 - NFS, no VLAN trunking enabled.
>>>
>>> In the Basic mode i should be able to setup a single physical network
>>> with
>>> management labeled to eth0, storage labeled to eth1, and guest labeled to
>>> br0 (which is attached to eth0).
>>>
>>> But in this scenario how can i tell each project to tag it's guests
>>> traffic to a different VLAN?
>>>
>>> Advanced mode seems way to complex for what i want to do. I don't need a
>>> public network. We have a hardware gateway for that. I don’t need any
>>> virtual routers or anything like that as well. I just need a guest to
>>> boot
>>> tagged to a specific VLAN and the gateway should handle the DHCP and
>>> routing.
>>>

>> Basic network doesn't support multiple isolated networks (AFAIK).
>>
>> You would probably want to check out shared networks in advanced mode,
>> that'll let you use your hardware router etc.
>> I think you still need to provide a small public range for system vms and
>> such, but your tenants won't have to use that, they can rely on shared
>> networks.
>>
>>  Do i have the wrong idea on what the public network is? Im taking public
> as in actual public IP space on the internet?
>
> Or is it something different like the network the management server uses
> to talk to the KVM hosts?

Just to clarify why there is a distinct public network - not all
companies/organizations/whatever allow internet access from (all) their
networks.
This way we're able to ensure that those VMs who needs it, usually system
vms and routers, have internet access, while things like management and
storage networks doesn't require that access.

--
Erik