cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Falk <christopher.f...@reliablenetworks.com>
Subject Adding Second Zone
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 19:55:48 GMT
I'm running commercial CP 4.5 Hotfix 3 and we're about to deploy a second site. I've been searching
the CP and CS docs and mailing list for some of the pitfalls and haven't found a lot of information
so I'm jumping in here with some questions. I'd love to learn from those who've done it already.

Our current environment looks like:

    * 6-host XenServer 6.2 SP1 cluster in a single pod/zone.
    * Two management servers and a DB master/slave in the same datacenter as the compute.

    * iSCSI primary storage, NFS secondary.

We've got a brand new XenServer 6.5 cluster ready to go in our second datacenter with a high-bandwidth
redundant link to the first DC. We intend to create a second zone in the new facility and
leave management in the first one for now. I've got the following questions I was hoping for
some wisdom on:

    * Do I need to seed the system VM template to the NFS secondary storage in the new zone
before I create the zone, or does it get copied from the first zone SS when creating the second?

    * Is it possible to copy templates between zones directly without export/import?
    * Our eventual goal is S3 region-wide secondary storage later in the year. Has anybody
done the conversion successfully? My lab tests have been challenging against a RiakCS backend,
with a successful API call for the conversion, but failing snapshot copies from XenServer
to S3. The lab was on XenServer 6.5 - I haven't tried 6.2SP1 with S3.

Thanks,

Chris