cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: root password for hosts: needed past setup?
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:05:53 GMT
Hi,

> On 21-Apr-2015, at 8:04 pm, Frank Louwers <frank@openminds.be> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> When adding a host, the webUI asks for a username and password to connect to the new
host. Is this only used for the initial setup over ssh, or is this used later on as well?

It is used later as well, if hosts get disconnected and need to re-connect.

> We tend to disable passwords as much as possible, in favour of ssh keys, and I was wondering
if I could safely remove the passwords once the Host has gone through the initial setup?

It also depends on what kind of host you have (KVM/Xen/VMware etc?), for example once the
agent on a KVM host is setup it may not need to use it unless the agent is down (and it needs
to log into the host using the credentials and try to start it again).

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com