cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Vadim Kimlaychuk <Vadim.Kimlayc...@Elion.ee>
Subject RE: guest VMs running NetBSD or OpenBSD
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 06:10:48 GMT
Phillip,

	Since you didn't specified hypervisor I presume you kept in mind - KVM isn't it ? I have
had FreeBSD 10.1 guests running there for a short while, but was not satisfied with performance.
 GENERIC kernel contains support for differen hypervisor types, but it seems this support
is not equal.  At XenServer I got much better numbers running guests in PVHVM mode.  There
is also non-official patches for kernel to allow unmapped IO that makes it even faster. So,
I would say, It all depends where are you running your guest VM.  KVM, XenServer, VmWare,
Hyper-V -- it all be different.  Cloudstack, as Ahmad said, has nothing to do with it.

BR,

Vadim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nux! [mailto:nux@li.nux.ro]
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2015 10:08 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: guest VMs running NetBSD or OpenBSD

Jeff,

AFAIK paravirtualisation is no longer considered the way to go (unless you lack virt support
in CPU).
I always prefer Other/Misc profiles in Xenserver, gives me a more "proper" OS, even when using
linux. BTW most linux distros will enable paravirt drivers to access disk and network.

Even Amazon recommends HVM: "for the best performance, we recommend that you use current generation
instance types and HVM AMIs when you launch new instances.".
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/virtualization_types.html

HTH
Lucian

Nux!