cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Marcus <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating VR template, without ACS update
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:25:01 GMT
I've never used the official script to upgrade. I always set to the
global setting to recreate on reboot of systemvms, it has been more
robust for me to do it the cloudy way and get a fresh vm on every
boot. With various issues that have arisen in the past (file system
filling up, fsck required on unclean shutdown, etc) it's just nice to
know that you're always a reboot away from getting a pristine config.
I was surprised when I heard about the patchviasocket issue as I've
run thousands of routers  and upgraded them multiple times, never once
having an issue. Nor in my nested vm dev environment. Perhaps it was
just our fast storage or something. I think someone added in some
retries or something like that.

Keep in mind that you usually don't need to drop in a new template for
a bugfix release, and it's sufficient to reboot. The exception to this
is if the bugfix release specifically indicates a new template, say
for a security fix on software in the OS of the template. Either way,
CloudStack will go through the full reprogramming process, and
stop/start the router to attach a new ISO with the new code and
install it on the router template, whether it images a fresh template
or uses an existing one.