cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Tim Mackey <tmac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XenServer (VM_HVM_REQUIRED) - RAW image converted to VHD
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 00:04:29 GMT
CentOS 7 needs to be HVM for XenServer.  If you created the VM on XenServer
6.5, then when you register it with CloudStack you'll want to set the
"requireshvm" flag when you import.  With CentOS 6, assuming you built it
from the CentOS 6 template, it could be PV or HVM.  I've installed directly
from ISO in 6.5 both CentOS 6 and 7 with no need to modify the kernel.
This is all background information which might guide you a solution.

Looking at your specific comments; since you're starting with a RAW image,
and following that blog post, you're probably starting with an HVM image
(which also explains why things work on KVM).  What I'd do is bypass
CloudStack (remove a moving part) and try and import that VHD directly into
XenServer and see what happens.  Once it comes in, in the CLI issue a 'xe
vm-list params=all uuid=yyyy' where yyyy is the uuid of your freshly
imported VM.  Look at the various _boot_ params and see if HVM or PV
options are set.  If HVM_boot_order is set, then you need HVM.  Of course,
if it doesn't import properly, or can't start, that'll be the first thing
to test.

This will confirm both that your VHD is legit, but also if the CloudStack
HVM message is also legit.  If it's legit, you're next challenge will be to
determine why CloudStack thinks you don't have it.  To solve that you'll
need to provide more details on how XenServer was installed, and the
version of CloudStack.

-tim