cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Vadim Kimlaychuk <Vadim.Kimlayc...@Elion.ee>
Subject RE: XenServer (VM_HVM_REQUIRED) - RAW image converted to VHD
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 07:13:14 GMT
Leandro,

	I do agree with Tim that you should check your VHD is correct. Try to import it using single
instance XenServer and see if it can boot the VM.  Cloudstack, when you do export-import,
mostly works with templates. And you may need to create new VM from the template you have
registered.

Regards,

Vadim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Mackey [mailto:tmackey@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:04 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: XenServer (VM_HVM_REQUIRED) - RAW image converted to VHD

CentOS 7 needs to be HVM for XenServer.  If you created the VM on XenServer 6.5, then when
you register it with CloudStack you'll want to set the "requireshvm" flag when you import.
 With CentOS 6, assuming you built it from the CentOS 6 template, it could be PV or HVM.
I've installed directly from ISO in 6.5 both CentOS 6 and 7 with no need to modify the kernel.
This is all background information which might guide you a solution.

Looking at your specific comments; since you're starting with a RAW image, and following that
blog post, you're probably starting with an HVM image (which also explains why things work
on KVM).  What I'd do is bypass CloudStack (remove a moving part) and try and import that
VHD directly into XenServer and see what happens.  Once it comes in, in the CLI issue a 'xe
vm-list params=all uuid=yyyy' where yyyy is the uuid of your freshly imported VM.  Look at
the various _boot_ params and see if HVM or PV options are set.  If HVM_boot_order is set,
then you need HVM.  Of course, if it doesn't import properly, or can't start, that'll be the
first thing to test.

This will confirm both that your VHD is legit, but also if the CloudStack HVM message is also
legit.  If it's legit, you're next challenge will be to determine why CloudStack thinks you
don't have it.  To solve that you'll need to provide more details on how XenServer was installed,
and the version of CloudStack.

-tim