cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improving VR services such as password server
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:19:55 GMT
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to explore how to make systemvms more robust and
> fault-tolerant, and the manual/automated QA of systemvms. One of the
> common user facing issues related to scalability was the reset
> password/key servers where the VR serves data using socat etc using
> forking mechanisms and global locks. This slows down the processes such
> as reset password.
>
> More here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8272
>
> One of the blindly thrown solutions includes increasing the VR RAM which
> works for at scale but then seems to fail again when the load is
> increased beyond a point. I don't know of any performance and stress
> testing reports that tell us about these bottlenecks. Please share if
> you have done anything in this regard.

Increasing the RAM is probably a perfectly fine solution if you're running
basic networking or have a small advanced infrastructure, but when you get
up to hundreds, or thousands of VRs even a bump of 128MB is considered
major.
(100 VRs + 128MB RAM = 12GB of additional RAM used).

Thus, keeping the footprint small is important.

> I want to do couple of things:
>
> - Explore systemvm build changes using newer tools such as packer
> - Cleanup script execution and code in resource layer
> - Start replacing bash scripts with more robust implementations, perhaps
> a single or few agents on VRs that provide non-hardcoded well-documented
> interfaces
> - Right now everything in VR/systemvms is sort of hardcoded and the
> services/interfaces are not well-documented. The idea is to refactor and
> wrap everything we want to do with the systemvms in a general agents
> framework that provides monitoring and managing the VRs (do stuff like
> upgrades etc to combat things like ghost, poodle issues):
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Agents+Framework
>
> What are the other issues you've had in past that you would like to be
> improved?

I like all those ideas. In general our pain areas are:
 - extraordinary upgrades out of the ordinary version upgrades, poodle etc.
 - upgrading during version upgrades. most of the times the changes in the
system vms are minor, and could be solved with some simple upgrade scripts
on the vms

--
Erik