cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: Networking in Advance zone with security groups enabled
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2015 10:39:34 GMT
Hello Sonali,

In an advanced zone with security groups the guest and public network are combined in one.
It's very similar to the Basic zone.
So you will end up with a network and all your VMs will be connected to it. You will want
to use "public" IPs and there will be no NAT involved.

Although you can add more than one network, a VM cannot be connected to more than 1 at a time.

You will have a VR which is there to provide DHCP, user data, passwords; it will not route
traffic.
You will not be able to use the "firewall" feature though obviously you will be able to use
Security Groups. There is no load balancer or VPN feature available, as well.

The main advantage is that the traffic of your VMs bypasses the VR and goes out through the
host directly, the security groups (iptables rules) are also applied on the host; this gives
it significantly more performance than an Advanced zone.

So look at what your needs are and choose the appropriate type of zone.

HTH
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro