cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Kyle Flavin <kyle.fla...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Removing a host from a cluster and adding it to another
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:19:58 GMT
Hi Geoff,
So question for you.  The purpose behind me doing this is to test upgrade a single host from
Xen 6.2 to 6.5.  I was moving the host out of its original cluster so as not to impact any
running VM's in the existing cluster (I haven't attempted to upgrade XenServer before, so
I want to be extra careful).  Does that approach makes sense to you?  Given the time I've
sunk into this over the past day, I'm thinking I may reinstall with Xen 6.2, add it to its
own CS cluster, and then attempt the upgrade to 6.5.

Kyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Higginbottom [mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:04 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: Removing a host from a cluster and adding it to another

Kyle,

I'm guessing there is still something referencing the old Pool the Host used to belong to
which is causing the problem.

I really recommend you just re-install XenServer from scratch and have a clean host.

A XenServer 6.5 install takes literally 10 mins to do a manual install as there are no Hotfixes
to apply yet, a XenServer 6.2 install can take an hour due to all the Hotfixes but you only
need to apply the following as they contain all the others not listed:

XS62ESP1.xsupdate
XS62ESP1003.xsupdate
XS62ESP1005.xsupdate
XS62ESP1009.xsupdate
XS62ESP1014.xsupdate
XS62ESP1016.xsupdate

So that would be six reboots of the host to apply all the patches up to XS62ESP1016

I also recommend you invest some time setting up a PXE deployment architecture which can auto
install XenServer and all the patches, then if you ever need to re-install a host or deploy
a new one, you can do so with very little effort and enjoy a nice hot coffee while it does
all the work for you.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com