cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Kyle Flavin <kyle.fla...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Removing a host from a cluster and adding it to another
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:49:36 GMT
I seem to be a little closer.  I've cleared the tags and the SR on my host.  When I try to
add the host to my new cluster through the Cloudstack web UI, I now see this:

"Please join the host <IP> to XS pool <UUID> through XC/XS before adding it through
CS UI"

I take it this means the host needs to be in a Xen pool first, but I don't know what the pool
referenced by <UUID> is.  It does not match the cluster UUID in Cloudstack, or any pool
UUID's that I can see in Xen.  I see that there is a xe pool-join command, but it takes an
IP address, not a UUID.  How do I join my host to the pool given by the Cloudstack error message
above?

-----Original Message-----
From: Abhinandan Prateek [mailto:abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:56 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Removing a host from a cluster and adding it to another

The tag needs to be removed from the Xen Hypervisor so that it cleanly goes to another cluster.
Use the following to clear host tags after detaching it from the pool:

xe host-param-clear uuid=$host param-name=tags;  (Run it in moving Xen host)

You also need to clear the SR on this host so that there is no conflict when it is added to
another cluster. Following are the steps to clear the SR:

[root@xenserver1-cloudstack ~]# df
172.16.197.134:/opt/storage/primary
                      19856384   2560128  16300160  14% /var/run/sr-mount/66f0805b-da95-872c-2a6e-d5c46c219c2a

[root@xenserver1-cloudstack ~]# xe pbd-list sr-uuid=66f0805b-da95-872c-2a6e-d5c46c219c2a
uuid ( RO)                  : 2e2aced7-f27f-917f-a017-68f3504967f0
..

[root@xenserver1-cloudstack ~]# xe pbd-unplug uuid=2e2aced7-f27f-917f-a017-68f3504967f0
[root@xenserver1-cloudstack ~]# xe sr-forget uuid=66f0805b-da95-872c-2a6e-d5c46c219c2a

# for pbd in `xe pbd-list currently-attached=false| grep ^uuid | awk '{print $NF}'`; do xe
pbd-plug uuid=$pbd ; done

Regards,
Abhinandan Prateek

M +919701199011
abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com

> On 28-Jan-2015, at 9:49 am, Kyle Flavin <kyle.flavin@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Ah, yes I can confirm that there is a host tag with the following query on the CS database.
 Here is the sanitized output from the host_tags table:

> select * from host_tags where host_id=<host_id>;
>
> +-----+---------+----------------+
> | id  | host_id | tag            |
> +-----+---------+----------------+
> | <id> |      <hosted> | <host_name> |
> +-----+---------+----------------+
>
> Is it safe to delete this entry, or should I add the host back into its old cluster and
then delete the tag through the UI?

cluster.  It will be the only host in the cluster, and used for testing purposes.  I put the
host into maintenance mode, removed it from its original cluster within the Cloudstack UI,
then deleted it from the Xen pool using xe pool-eject.

> Now when I create a new cluster, and try to add the host, I get an error message that
just says "Unable to add host" from within the Cloudstack web UI.  I see messages in management-server.log
that say "Trying to add a new host at http://<myhost<http://%3cmyhost>>", but
no indication of an error:

ctx-fa2957ea) Trying to add a new host at http://<myhost> in data center 1

> On the Xen host itself, I see the following in the xensource.log:
>
> Jan 28 00:28:31 <host> t1 /opt/xensource/bin/xapi: [debug|<host>|748 INET
0.0.0.0:80|pool_patch.get_by_uuid D:5fb0d4d944bb|dispatcher] Server_helpers.exec exception_handler:
Got exception UUID_INVALID: [ pool_patch; 996dd2e7-ad95-49cc-a0be-2c9adc4dfb0b ]

> It references an invalid ID, but I'm not sure what that UUID belongs to; it isn't the
UUID of the pool.

> Is there something that needs to be done to "clear" the configuration of a Xenserver
host prior to adding it to a new cluster?  Or is Cloudstack "remembering" the old host name
and not allowing me to put it into the new cluster?

> Thanks,
> Kyle

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.