cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Xenserver pool HA in Cloudstack
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:47:28 GMT
Hi Yuri,

Whilst testing this, I killed off the Host Masters approx. 10 times, and on about 2 occasions
the old Pool Master did automatically re-join as a slave, but on the other 8 occasions they
did not.

I think it depended on how long they were down for, so a simple reset of the host was OK,
but if it was down for say 10 mins then the recovery steps were required etc.

I have applied patches up to and including XS62ESP1014 but you say you have only applied up
to XS62E014 which is pre SP1 and more importantly pre XS62ESP1004 which is the patch which
triggers the requirement for this configuration.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Yuri Kogun [mailto:ykogun@outlook.com]
Sent: 07 January 2015 17:06
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: Xenserver pool HA in Cloudstack

Hi Geoff,

Great article. Just wanted let you know that  I tested the configuration on my test environment
 and everything worked as you described, apart from the 'Recovering from Host Failures' bit.

In my case the former master  came up after reboot and joined the pool as a slave. No manual
steps were needed. Below is the extract from the messages on the host.

Jan  7 16:53:36 dcv-xenserver-h31 xsconsole: Configure Management Interface found no PIFs
to present Jan  7 16:53:42 dcv-xenserver-h31 xsconsole: Configure Management Interface found
no PIFs to present Jan  7 16:53:47 dcv-xenserver-h31 xha[6193]: The local host has transitioned
to online state.
Jan  7 16:53:48 dcv-xenserver-h31 xha[6193]: propose_master returns FALSE.
Jan  7 16:53:48 dcv-xenserver-h31 xha[6193]: propose_master returns FALSE.
Jan  7 16:53:48 dcv-xenserver-h31 xapi: [ info|dcv-xenserver-h31|0 thread_zero|Checking HA
configuration D:e685fe6c5de9|xapi_ha] ha_propose_master failed: looking for another master
Jan  7 16:53:48 dcv-xenserver-h31 xapi: [ info|dcv-xenserver-h31|0 thread_zero|Checking HA
configuration D:e685fe6c5de9|xapi_ha] This node will become the slave of host 17aa5709-ec88-4e9a-93ad-0adc1b43c32f
(192.168.56.30) Jan  7 16:53:49 dcv-xenserver-h31 xsconsole: Local shell Jan  7 16:53:58 dcv-xenserver-h31
xapi: [ warn|dcv-xenserver-h31|17||xapi_fuse] Caught an exception flushing database (perhaps
it hasn't been initialised yet): INTERNAL_ERROR: [ Failure("hd") ]; restarting immediately

It could be because I have applied patches up to  XS62E014 and  something was fixed.

Best regards
Yuri

> From: geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com
> To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Xenserver pool HA in Cloudstack
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 16:48:19 +0000
>
> @Suresh,
>
> The link you referenced is a design doc for a possible future feature, this is NOT in
CloudStack as of today.

> @Sonali,
>
> As promised, here is a link to the article I have been working on today covering the
use of XenServer HA with CloudStack,

> http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack/xenserver-native-ha-with-cloudstack/
>
> In summary if you have installed XS62ESP1004 then you MUST start using XenServer HA on
your XenServer Clusters, if you don’t, and the Pool Master goes down, no new Pool Master
will be elected.

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

a blog article for www.shapeblue.com covering the correct way to configure HA in XenServer.
It's due to go live later today, I'll respond to this thread once it's live.

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

of xenserver pool. But at some places I saw that cloudstack HA and Xenserver HA both are different
. And One shouldn't use Xenserver HA, since Cloudstack HA is by default active. Is it true?

> Yours sincerely,
>
> Sonali Jadhav | System Administrator
> Nordiska Servercentralen
> Direct: (Sweden) +46 7 52472074 | (India) +91 9892837889 Skype ID: sonali.jadhav.sj
> E-mail: sonali@servercentralen.se<mailto:sonali@servercentralen.se>
> Nordiska Servercentralen AB
> Snövitsvägen 5
> S-167 62 Bromma | Sweden
> www.servercentralen.se<http://www.servercentralen.se/>
> Incredible Servercentral Pvt. Ltd.
> 202, Siddhivinayak Aurum, Near Hyatt Regency Behind Eden Garden, Viman Nagar, 411 014
| Pune, India www.servercentral.in<http://www.servercentral.in/>

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.