cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com>
Subject Re: Backup Solution in Cloudstack
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:47:12 GMT
As far as I know there is no such solution which is integrated with ACS, which is a shame.
I would also like to see this issue being addressed by the acs.

Having said this, I think the job of acs is orchestration and doesn't include the backup functionality
within the guest vm. You might want to implement a 3rd party backup solution to provide additional
backup functionality for the granular file recovery.

If you are using XenServer with ACS, the snapshotting is pretty good and spot on. I think
it covers the need for majority of clients. You can create scheduled backups for volumes and
also vms, including memory snapshotting. It works pretty well and is also quick.

In comparison, the KVM snapshotting is awful, broken, slow and just unusable even for small
deployments. Try creating a snapshot schedule to take volume snapshots of let's say 10 volumes
at about the same time. Your acs will be brought down to its knees. I am frequently seeing
host disconnects when I have several snapshots running at the same time.

Andrei