cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Somesh Naidu <Somesh.Na...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Network Traffic Statistics
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2014 22:10:48 GMT
Network Stats (listVirtualMachines ) and Network Usage (listUsageRecords) are two different
entities.

The former is run time stats received from the hypervisor and isn't stored or used by cloudstack.

The latter is raw CCP usage and as you mentioned, gathered via iptables on VR and only captures
traffic on public interface.

-----Original Message-----
From: Logan Barfield [mailto:lbarfield@tqhosting.com]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 3:20 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Network Traffic Statistics

Just a quick question about traffic statistics.

Currently there appear to be two ways to pull network statistics in an
advanced zone:

- listVirtualMachines
-> Returns networkkbsread & networkkbswrite

- listUsageRecords
-> Type 4: Bytes sent
-> Type 5: Bytes received

I assume both of these list the aggregate network traffic for each VM (both
public and between VMs on the same network).

My question is: Is there currently a way via CloudStack to pull only the
public network traffic for a given network (incoming and outgoing)?

The statistics gathering seems to use the NETWORK_STATS IPtables entries on
the VR, so I would think it could pull the traffic for just the public
interface.  Even better would be to pull the traffic for each public IP,
but that would be a bit more difficult I assume.

Thank You,

Logan Barfield
Tranquil Hosting