cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Any more CloudMonkey improvements you want to see?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:44:44 GMT
Hi Sebastien,

I think it's a good idea to allow users to enter human readable text and let cloudmonkey figure
out uuid stuff, it's tricky to get it right I'll see if we can implement it in future.

Cheers.

On Tuesday 09 December 2014 02:24 PM, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2014, at 3:38 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> > Good discussion, keep them coming!
> >
> > Hi Sebastien,
> >
> >> On 09-Dec-2014, at 1:41 pm, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I will put one in:
> >>
> >> would be nice to be able to reference entities by name in addition to uuid.
> >> using uuid is quite cumbersome.
> >>
> >> for example
> >>
> >> cloudmonkey deploy virtualmachine template='foo' serviceoffering='bar' keypair=‘toto'
> >
> > Any ideas on how we can actually implement this and also people may not even remember
the names of these args and they may want autocompletion for that as well? Right now with
autocompletion enabled (set paramcompletion true), one can easily tab tab on an arg that is
of uuid, boolean (and a special case account param) type and cloudmonkey lists uuids with
names so one can pick a uuid for a suitable name.

> > If we want to do autocompletion of names and which then translate to uuids is sort
of doable but it will require a lot of background list API calls and a translation layer which
can slow down cloudmonkey, and there is a corner case that an entity got removed and the name
to uuid translation layer in cloudmonkey won’t know which uuid to pick and fail (few people
may find it alright).

> no idea how to implement it :) I have not looked at the code in a long time.
>
> That's just a feature request, maybe it's not a good one.

LLP is a
Blue
Brasil
Ltd is

> > Regards,
> > Rohit Yadav
> > Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> > M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
> > Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab
> >

> > Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services
> >
> > IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
> > CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
> > CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
> > CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
> > CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
> > CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
> >
> > This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it :)

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.