cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any more CloudMonkey improvements you want to see?
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 23:23:09 GMT
Rohit,

Thanks, for response,

i'll give marvin a shot.

Regards
ilya

On 12/5/14, 1:42 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi Ilya,
>
>> On 05-Dec-2014, at 2:23 pm, ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Here is the use case i have. End user needs to setup new cloudstack instance with
zones, secondary and primary stores, templates, global settings, etc... he knows most of the
configs will be similar to another env he has with slight differences.
>> If there would be a way to dump this setup in its entirety, modify few configs that
are global/zone/cluster/host/network specific and use it as a template to deploy other envs.
> Sound like a configuration management tool you want. On a similar use case you may find
Paul’s ansible module useful that uses cloudmonkey to deploy zone etc. with a specific configuration
(zones, storage, template, global settings etc). I find ansible pleasant to work with and
does not take a lot of time to learn it or use it.

> Personally to follow the unix philosophy I don’t want cloudmonkey to do many things.
For such kind of use-cases that people have suggested before, I was thinking of refactoring
cloudmonkey in such a way that they could write their own plugins for cloudmonkey (much like
say nose), maybe for 5.4.0.

> I’m working on a test/CI tool to automate testing and deployment which you may find
more useful, it’s going to be tool like cloudmonkey. I’ll keep you posted as soon as it
can start working for me, I think you may find it interesting. The main issue for me is right
now is that I started writing it in Go and while it’s great, it not as friendly as Python
can be.

> Right now, tools/marvin has a deployDatacenter script in it that accepts a datacenter
config json file and deploys a datacenter using that.  Maybe you can try that? Though it does
not have the import and export/deploy kind of feature you’re looking for.

> For example, this is what I use for doing local smoke tests: (there are other config
files in setup/dev)
> python tools/marvin/marvin/deployDataCenter.py -i setup/dev/advanced.cfg
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.