cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Jochim, Ingo" <Ingo.Joc...@bautzen-it.de>
Subject AW: Shared Storage for VMs
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2014 07:44:37 GMT
Hello Lee,

thanks for sharing your ideas.
In this scenario someone needs to administer the NAS and handle all requests, right?

In the case you have a little VM which shares the storage then all traffic will go through
this VM and not directly to the storage.

Is there a standard to communicate to different storage systems for managing volumes/shares?

Regards,
Ingo

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Lee Webb [mailto:nullify005@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Samstag, 13. Dezember 2014 02:46
An: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Shared Storage for VMs

I have this requirement for some of the applications deployed in CS too

Workaround solution (of sorts) was to create a Shared Network attached to a Physical VLAN
& then hook up a Physical NAS to the same VLAN.
The shared network is bound to a particular account / project so that it can't be used by
everyone

For me part of the attraction of using CS over OpenStack was that you could craft the network
in this way so that you an support applications / deployments which have physical device requirements
or haven't been developed to be 100% cloudy.

I notice that OpenStack is looking into a shared volume system, & I'd also like the option
of doing it 100% inside of CS if it was capable of doing so.

I do recall though that in XenServer (& ESX 4 I think) it wasn't possible to attach a
single volume to multiple machines without significant hacking of the underlying Python -
after which building things like an Oracle RAC / GRID system or OCFS2 was possible but this
is probably out of reach for most users.

Perhaps something like a Virtual NAS VM like the Virtual Routers etc. would be sufficient
- think OpenFiler but inside of CS?

--
This email was Virus checked by Astaro Security Gateway. http://www.sophos.com