cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Patched 4.3.1 SystemVMs (was Re: git commit: updated refs/heads/master to 88acc9b)
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2014 08:31:56 GMT
Hi,

> On 04-Nov-2014, at 1:49 pm, Santhosh Edukulla <santhosh.edukulla@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> 2. The conf file changes done will not countermeasure the sytemplate vuln issue i believe,
we may still wanted to confirm that its indeed the httpd.conf which needs to be changed for
apache2 as well for the particular template fix.

AFAIK, on SSVM apache2 runs to serve templates/iso/volumes which users download and it uses
443/https and uses a custom SSL certificate if uploaded. If SSL is not enabled then it does
not apply.

In case of CPVM, the Java based agent uses an in-memory SSL keystore (that mgmt server sends
it when it starts) and it implements its own Java based webservice that serves the console
proxy over 443/https, again if SSL is enabled and a SSL certificate was uploaded.

In both cases, if SSL is not enabled (global settings) for SSVM/CPVM these SSL based attacks
don’t apply. Other than these components, it’s the ACS mgmt server (tomcat) or the reverse-proxy/LB
in front of it that needs to be fixed either in the server.xml file or in respective reverse-proxy
(such as nginx) or the LB (netscaler etc). I’m only aware of these components prone to SSL
attacks. If there are other areas, we should find and fix them.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com