cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Alexey Zilber <alexeyzil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XenServer
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2014 03:03:20 GMT
Andrija,

 What we used to do at a big provider with AWS, say a VM has multiple
attached volumes with mysql running across all of them (one for data,
another for binary logs, say another for relay logs), is if the filesystem
supports freezing, you can freeze the fs, then snapshot one by one.  So for
XFS for example, this would be xfs_freeze.  There's creative ways of doing
this, combining filesystem features and LVM.  You can also do similar
things with ZFS.

-Alex

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Andrija Panic <andrija.panic@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Andrei - I agree 100% with you - fancy stuff, new features, and basic ones
> needs to be fixed - snapshoting, custom vxlan MTU and so on, GUI
> brokne/buggy, and so on.
>
> We have customer who wants to do 90 days snapshoting and possibility to
> revert back - with this approach coping from primary to secondary volume,
> simple 50GB volume X 90 days = 4.5 TB of data on secondary storage - for
> me, this is nonsese... snapshots needs to stay on primary storage (must be
> shared storage I undestand etc..)
>
> Anyway, we agree, let see if the issues get fixed by chance :)
> Cheers
>
> On 31 October 2014 17:33, Andrei Mikhailovsky <andrei@arhont.com> wrote:
>
> > Andrija,
> >
> > Also, I might add that the snapshotting should not take a long time, like
> > what's currently happening with KVM. It takes absolutely ages for the
> > snapshot to complete while the image is being copied from primary to
> > secondary storage. If you have a bunch of volumes you want to snapshot,
> > they just take up all the queue and eventually timeout. Try taking a
> > snapshot of about 50+ volumes at the same time, which is not very
> uncommon
> > for a medium infrastructure, let alone a large cloud. Things will get
> > broken pretty quickly.
> >
> > Even if you are using ceph storage with the built in capabilities for
> > doing rbd snapshotting, this mechanism is still somewhat broken and
> buggy.
> > For instance, it would be nice to have a working ability to keep the
> > snapshots on the primary storage to remove this time consuming
> > primary-secondary storage coping, but this feature has been broken for
> > about a year already with no prospects of being fixed as far as I can
> tell.
> >
> > So, as it stands at the moment, looking from the customer perspective,
> the
> > snapshotting is broken with KVM and needs to be addressed asap. Not
> really
> > sure why this is not a priority for the dev team? It seems that the team
> is
> > pushing those fancy features into the new releases without concentrating
> on
> > the basics of what the clients want. Very frustrating for the clients (((
> >
> > Andrei

KVM where one

PM

of about 5