cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack with XenServer on single host
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2014 12:06:51 GMT
Unfortunately you cannot run CloudStack Management Server on a XenServer (or ESXi) Host it
is managing.

It works for KVM because CloudStack and KVM are running as services on CentOS, CloudStack
is not running as a VM on KVM.

You do have a couple of options however:

Install Virtualbox and then create a VM for CloudStack and a separate VM for XenServer - take
a look at this recent presentation I have at the European User Group

http://www.slideshare.net/ShapeBlue/building-virtualised-cloudstack-test-environments

This is really aimed at testing on a Laptop, if you have a physical box a better option is
to install the free version of ESXi then add a CentOS VM for CloudStack and a XenServer VM
as your Hypervisor.  If you configure ESXi for nested virtualisation your XenServer will support
HVM VMs, unlike on Virtualbox which will only support PV VMs

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<htp://www.shapeblue.com/>
| Twitter:@cloudstackguru<https://twitter.com/#!/cloudstackguru>

ShapeBlue Ltd, 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4HS<x-apple-data-detectors://5>

On 2 Nov 2014, at 04:14, "matthiasmueller07@web.de<mailto:matthiasmueller07@web.de>"