cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Kirk Kosinski <kirkkosin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does management server have to be able mount NSF Share on a storage network?
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2014 17:16:29 GMT
Hi, I'm not aware of a requirement for the management server to access
the secondary storage share when using XenServer.  However, the
XenServer hosts (and also VMware and KVM) definitely do need to mount
the secondary storage share.  You may need to add static routes in your
network or otherwise make sure the XenServer hosts can reach the NFS
server and mount the share.

Best regards,
Kirk

On 09/26/2014 06:21 AM, Sam Ceylani wrote:
> Hi Kirk,
>
> Thank you for your answer.We are using Citrix Xenserver 6.2 and for storage server Freenas
9 with ZFS. I have been reading past emails on the list about setting up storage network and
they are talking about creating a static route on their switches between management and storage
networks and this seems to be a requirement. So I guess this is for management server to access
to secondary storage, I personally tested twice (without this static route on the switch,
I didn't know this info back then) and CS 4.3 (I am using CS 4.4 now) was not able to start
SSVM or Console Proxy servers and I decided to just use management network to access secondary
storage and it works out of the box. So question is beside this requirement of initial install
of system VM from management server via systemvm download script (I mounted secondary on management
server and run this script, some people suggests using it from the nfs nas server with -t
template option to not to mount nfs on on management serve
), do we have to use a static route on our switches between management and storage network
for secondary shares? this information is not in documentation and documentation has very
conflicting information about pinging networks and some requirement of pings needs to fail
etc. If you can explain this I would really appreciate it...Thanks again, Sam