cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject recent changes at Citrix
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 14:24:54 GMT
Hi all

[writing as Giles, the community member, NOT as a PMC member or in any sort of official capacity]

As I'm sure many of you are aware, there has been some recent management changes within Citrix
cloud with Sameer, Shannon and Sheng all departing. I've enjoyed getting to know these guys
over the past couple of years and I wish them well in what they decide to do in the future

Whats this got to do with *APACHE* Cloudstack ?
Well, in the last few days, some commentators & bloggers have added up 2 with 2 and come
up with 1064. They've then done it again and come up with another 1064.

If you believe these guys, some personnel changes at Citrix means that CloudStack is doomed
and we're not going to have a project to work on. The world is going to stop.
http://images.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/cloudstack-losing-openstack-takes-its-ball-and-goes-home-249978?source=rss_cloud_computing

As you all know, CloudStack is much much more than a Citrix project these days.  Whilst we
all acknowledge here the valuable contribution that Citrix make by allowing many people here
to be involved in this project: it is very important to remember that we are a community of
individual contributors. Our PMC, committers and contributors continue to be drawn from a
wider and wider pool of organisations .

I see user adoption increasing, downloads I'm told are increasing and our developer community
getting more and more active & diverse.
Personally, I find it quite insulting to all of the people who work so hard here that a "journalist"
could paint the picture that CloudStack is all about 3 people (however instrumental guys like
Sheng were initially)

I don't work for Citrix, so I can't comment on whether there is a change in heart there, but
  the fact that these guys leaving more or less exactly 3 years after the cloud.com acquisition
says to me that this is something that was always going to happen and is not too much to worry
about.

Obviously, this is just attempt by these commentators to grab some headlines.  BUT - it is
creating negative PR about CloudStack. Right now

*CALL TO ARMS*
As we don't have a big marketing machine, it would be good if everybody in this community
could do a little PR work on twitter, etc. over the next few days.

The key things to get the world to understand are:

-          Cloudstack is NOT a Citrix project. Changes that Citrix make are irrelevant to
an Apache project

-          Cloudstack is successful

-          #cloudstackworks

-          Many other organisations support cloudstack

-          Cloudstack is the most widely deployed IaaS software (feel free to use examples)

Kind Regards
Giles

Giles Sirett
CEO