cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Carlos Reátegui <create...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Disk performance
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 22:29:28 GMT
Ilya,
Isn’t the network throttling for the guest/public network?  How does it affect the primary
storage network?

On Aug 18, 2014, at 3:17 PM, ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> As someone probably already mentioned, check if throttle enabled/set in global settings
as well as under network offering.

> Regards
> ilya
>
> On 8/18/14, 1:01 PM, Carlos Reátegui wrote:
>> You sure VR is traversed for nfs traffic?  In my setup the NAS subnet is completely
separate from any that CS uses.  The hosts know about it but none of the system vms know about
it.

>> In my setup I am using shared network so the VR is not involved in network traffic.
>>
>> One of my setups:
>> NAS (ubuntu nfs, HW raid10 with ssd cache) connected with 10Gbe on a subnet that
CS does not know about other than the ip to the NFS server.
>> XenServer Hosts: 4 x 1Gbe for primary storage, 4x1 Gbe for CloudStack (e.g. guest,
management, secondary storage)

>> Using bonnie++ I am seeing ~135Mbps read ~109Mbps write from an ubuntu 12.04 vm.
>>

>> On Aug 18, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Jeff Crystal <JCrystal@idsi4it.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Management server: HP Proliant ML350 G5 18GB RAM dual quad-core 2.0Ghz server
>>> SAN: HP Proliant ML350 G6 28GB RAM dual quad-core 2.66Ghz server running Open-e
DSS v7 lite
>>> Virtual Hosts (2 identical servers)
>>> HP Proliant ML 350 G5 24GB RAM 2.66Ghz dual Quad-core with (4) gigabit nics
>>> Public, Guest, Storage, and Management networks are all assigned dedicated nics
(cloudbr0-3)

>>> Using NFS I'm getting 6-7Mbps write and 45-50Mbps read speeds with this setup.
>>>
>>> Using Microsoft software iSCSI from a Windows Vm running in this environment
and attached to the same SAN, I get 13-14Mbps read/write speeds.  (Access to the SAN traverses
the virtual router.  I'm not sure if this is affecting the speed or not.)

in place of NFS. OCFS2? GFS2? GlusterFS? I tried setting up CLVM, but it seems very problematic
(server won't shut down without manual intervention to leave the cluster, server won't join
the cluster on boot without manual commands. Not very enterprisey!) I'll have to give Ceph
a look...

the awesome of HA or easy volume recovery, but if all youre after is performance. Thats the
one.