cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Carlos Reátegui <create...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: awsapi vs ec2stack
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 23:21:02 GMT

On Aug 1, 2014, at 7:39 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2014, at 11:51 PM, Carlos Reátegui <creategui@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone out there using or have experience either/both of these that can comment on
pros and cons?

>> Previously I was unsuccessful at getting awsapi working on 4.1 and only just today
found out about ec2stack.  I was going to give it another try now that I am on 4.4 on one
of my setups and was wondering if anyone had any comments/thoughts on these two options.

>> thanks,
>> Carlos
>
> Carlos,
>
> I was part of the project that wrote ec2stack with Darren and Ian in cc.
>
> ec2stack is a python application using Flask micro framework to expose the ec2 query
API. It is uncoupled from cloudstack and can run on the mgt server or even on your local machine.
> You might want to check this short tutorial: http://codac.co/ec2/README.html
>
> The github page also has docs:
> https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack
> https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack/wiki/User-Guide
>
> It is mostly aimed at supporting basic zones, but also has support for VPC since 3 weeks
ago.

> IMHO it is easier to maintain/extend and a much smaller code footprint. Right now it
is not an official cloudstack release even though Darren, Ian and I are part of cloudstack
community. We might put it under ASF governance if there is interest in it.

> Awsapi has you know is strongly tied to cloudstack and the app comes bundled in the source
and in the package repo. It is java based and built dynamically from the AWS wsdl. other than
that since it's Java I don't know much about it. My personal opinion is that very people in
the community know about its internals and it has proven difficult to maintain plus package
properly. So I prefer ec2stack mostly because I know how it's written and that it is decoupled
from cloudstack.

> Would be great to have you try ec2stack and give us some feedback, either on this list
or on the github page.

I’ll give it a try next week and report back.  Thanks!