cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: awsapi vs ec2stack
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:39:27 GMT

On Jul 31, 2014, at 11:51 PM, Carlos ReƔtegui <creategui@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone out there using or have experience either/both of these that can comment on pros
and cons?

> Previously I was unsuccessful at getting awsapi working on 4.1 and only just today found
out about ec2stack.  I was going to give it another try now that I am on 4.4 on one of my
setups and was wondering if anyone had any comments/thoughts on these two options.

> thanks,
> Carlos

Carlos,

I was part of the project that wrote ec2stack with Darren and Ian in cc.

ec2stack is a python application using Flask micro framework to expose the ec2 query API.
It is uncoupled from cloudstack and can run on the mgt server or even on your local machine.
You might want to check this short tutorial: http://codac.co/ec2/README.html

The github page also has docs:
https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack
https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack/wiki/User-Guide

It is mostly aimed at supporting basic zones, but also has support for VPC since 3 weeks ago.

IMHO it is easier to maintain/extend and a much smaller code footprint. Right now it is not
an official cloudstack release even though Darren, Ian and I are part of cloudstack community.
We might put it under ASF governance if there is interest in it.

Awsapi has you know is strongly tied to cloudstack and the app comes bundled in the source
and in the package repo. It is java based and built dynamically from the AWS wsdl. other than
that since it's Java I don't know much about it. My personal opinion is that very people in
the community know about its internals and it has proven difficult to maintain plus package
properly. So I prefer ec2stack mostly because I know how it's written and that it is decoupled
from cloudstack.

Would be great to have you try ec2stack and give us some feedback, either on this list or
on the github page.

Cheers,

-Sebastien