cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From John Mancuso <jmanc...@freewheel.tv>
Subject Live migration shared storage
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2014 01:29:31 GMT
This may be more of a KVM question but we are evaluating the VM live migration feature of Cloudstack
4.4 on KVM using shared FC SAN storage on RHEL 6/7. I'm a bit confused as to the proper setup/best
practice for accomplishing this. For primary storage, we would like to avoid NFS like the
plague as the throughput is much much slower than GFS2, OCFS2, ceph, etc. My past experience
was with Redhat Cluster which can use CLVM with a SAN-backed ext3 volume to simply deactivate
a volume group on a dead node and activate it on the live one. Would there be anything like
that here (Active/passive volume) or would my best bet be a distributed file system like GFS/OCFS
which I believe is active/active? We only need active/passive to allow failover for VM obviously.

According to this we can use Fiber Channel via shared mount, but can someone explain the best
approach?
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html/Admin_Guide/primary-storage.html

-John