cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From John Muckley <j.muck...@databax.com>
Subject RE: Windows Template Question
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2014 15:38:05 GMT
I did indeed Sysprep it, yes.
I sysprep with /oobe /generalize /shutdown and /unattend

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy Lothering [mailto:tlothering@datacentrix.co.za]
Sent: 10 July 2014 12:57
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: Windows Template Question

Hi John,

Did you sysprep the VM template?

Kind Regards,

Timothy Lothering

-----Original Message-----
From: John Muckley [mailto:j.muckley@databax.com]
Sent: 10 July 2014 01:31 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Windows Template Question

Hello Chaps,

I have a question that nobody seems to be able to answer for me, so I thought I’d try my
luck with you guys.

When I first deployed our CloudStack and captured a windows template, the resulting windows
VMs would take about 2 minutes from being requested to being deployed and up. The problem
here was that windows prompted for a product key prior to displaying the logon screen and
wouldn’t allow logon (either local or remote) until that was entered.

Naturally I applied an unattend.xml (pasted Below) to put the product key in automatically
which solved the problem and made everything work perfectly, however my Windows VMs don’t
deploy in 2 minutes anymore, they take 12 minutes… most of which is a black screen with
‘Preparing your computer for first use’ on it.

I realise that 12 minutes isn’t a bad time from request to being online and ready, however
It would be brilliant if I could get this back down to the couple of minutes it was originally.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!!

UNATTEND.XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral"
versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="amd64"> <UserData> <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
<FullName>DBXCloud</FullName> <Organization>DBX</Organization> <ProductKey>XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX</ProductKey>
</UserData>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
<InputLocale>en-UK</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-UK</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-UK</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-UK</UserLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State"
<OOBE>
<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
</OOBE>
</component>
</settings>
</unattend>

________________________________

This is an e-mail from Databax Ltd (Company No.04085248). The contents of this e-mail are
confidential. Databax Ltd does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness
of the contents of this e-mail as it has been transmitted over a public network.  If you receive
this e-mail in error please accept our apology. If this is the case we would be obliged if
you would contact the sender and then delete this e-mail. This e-mail and/or any replies to
it, and any attachments may be intercepted, copied or monitored by Databax Ltd for the purpose
of monitoring or keeping record of its business and for the purposes set out in the Telecommunications
(Lawful Business Practices) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000. All statements
made in this e-mail are subject to contract. The contents are not to be regarded as a contractual
offer or acceptance. The sender is not authorised to bind Databax Ltd. The views expressed
in this e-mail are those of the sender and not necessarily those of  Databax Ltd.
Feel free to visit the Databax web site at www.databax.com<http://www.databax.com/>
 to find out about our range of products and services, and for the latest Databax news and
information.

<

>Please consider the environment before printing this email.
Timothy Lothering
Solutions Architect
Managed Services

T: +27877415535
F: +27877415100
C: +27824904099
E: tlothering@datacentrix.co.za

DISCLAIMER NOTICE:

Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of Datacentrix
Holdings Ltd. and its subsidiaries
('Datacentrix') is proprietary to Datacentrix. It is confidential, legally privileged and
protected by law. Datacentrix does not own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions
are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of Datacentrix.
The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender
immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content
in any way. Datacentrix cannot assure that the integrity of this communication has been maintained
nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference