cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Vadim Kimlaychuk <Vadim.Kimlayc...@Elion.ee>
Subject KVM and advanced network. Routing and IP assignment details.
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:00:01 GMT
Hello,

            Have read nice article about CS and advanced network set-up here: http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack/understanding-cloudstacks-physical-networking-architecture/,
but have problem with routing.

            Let me say I have only 1 NIC with all the trunks 100, 200, 300 configured as in
KVM configuration guide (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest/hypervisor/kvm.html
).

·         cloudbr (no tag) top-level bridge for trunks mgmt0, cloudbr0, cloudbr1.

·         mgmt0 (VLAN 100) bridge has 172.17.1.2 adress and is responsible for hosts network
172.17.1.0/24.

·         cloudbr0 (VLAN 200) bridge does not have any IP address and is responsible for
public network (not used if „security group“ is enabled)

·         cloudbr1 (VLAN 300) bridge does not have any IP address and is responsible for
guest network 192.168.1.0/24

·         cloud0 (no tag) – system bridge that is created by cloudstack-agent during host
registration. Has IP 169.254.0.1 and manages local-link network 169.254.0.0/16. Acts as gateway
for 169.254.0.0 network

After setting up cloudstack every system VM gets basically 3 IPs (no problem with this):

1.    link local IP, for example: 169.254.0.10

2.    private IP, for example: 172.17.1.105

3.    public IP, for example: 192.168.1.5 (gw 192.168.1.1 is defined during CS installation,
but physically does not present anywhere)

There is no problem to communicate within networks 1 and 2, because first one configures cloudstack
itself and host network is configured by switch KVM host is connected to.

The only question so far: where to configure routing for 3rd network (if it is possible)?
I got error „no route to host“ from SSVM, because default route is trough 192.168.1.0
network. May be NAT is needed? Can I define private and public networks from different sub-nets
? Should I configure cloudbr1 IP manually ? Or there is something else?

Thank you,

Vadim