cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Ivan Rodriguez <ivan...@gmail.com>
Subject KVM snapshot process
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 06:18:29 GMT
Dear Cloudstack users,

Can someone explain me roughly the process of creating an snapshot in KVM ?

The process takes a very long time, the speed at what the qcow2 file is
copied from primary to secondary storage is extremely slow, on the storage
level
I can see is around 4 Mbps but I know our primary storage and secondary can
dump data faster than that

So far this is what I know

     Step
            1.- Pause the VM in the host
            2.- Create the snapshot of the qcow2 files using qemu-img
            3.- Backup the image into secondary storage

So my question is who is actually copying that file over to secondary
storage ?
I've checked the secondary storage vm and it doesn't look like its playing
any role during this process.

Thanks in advance