cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: experience's and issues with setting up cloudstack 4.3 and xenserver 6.2
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2014 13:40:58 GMT
Hi,

We have both standalone XS and ACS. Off the top of my head, the best few reasons to use ACS:
- user management and resource limit enforcement as well as tracking (eg we always seem to
"lose"/misplace IPs with standalone HVs) and statistics
- HV agnostic (almost), we use XS and KVM
- network management
- virtual router more advanced features (VPN, load balancer etc)
- powerful API that can be used to automate stuff dramatically

With just XS the biggest PITA is tracking and setting network related info. With ACS I just
give it a few IP and VLAN ranges and tell it to just use them.
Additionally, ACS has the concept of (resource limited) "projects" which multiple users can
participate in. Not to mention additional goodies like cloud-init which can help with automation
quite a bit (ie running user scripts at boot, setting SSH keys, root passwords etc).

It will change the way you work and once you get it off the ground and running, it will save
you significant time and stress.

BUT, before you start using ACS in production: TEST, TEST, TEST! I can't stress this enough.

IMHO cloud is hard, the software is big and complex and there are rough edges here and there,
so take your time, get to know it; to know its weaknesses and strengths and use them appropriately.

HTH
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro