cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Steve Cleveland <ste...@engr.oregonstate.edu>
Subject Troubles with CloudStack 4.3 (new user)
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 22:51:34 GMT
I'm running into a few problems setting up cloudstack for the first
time.  Most I've resolved, but I wanted to share.  I'm using CentOS 6.5
and XenServer 6.2.  Both have the latest updates installed.  And I'm
using an external MariaDB 5.5.35 server and an external NFS server (both
primary and secondary storage).  I'm following these instructions:

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest/installation.html

1. The RPM package repository shows setting up 4.2.  Substituting 4.3
works fine.

2. The section on MySQL running on the MS says to run
cloudstack-setup-management on step 9.  Using an external MySQL section
does not include this step, but causes errors if I manually try to start
the cloudstack-managment service.  I assume that's just a documentation
problem and that I'm supposed to run cloudstack-setup-management.

3. After running 'cloudstack-setup-management' it starts the service.
But the web interface never comes up (I get a service unavailable
error).  The management-server.log file has this error:

2014-05-19 13:19:42,120 ERROR [c.c.u.DatabaseUpgradeChecker] (main:null)
Unable to execute upgrade script:
/usr/share/cloudstack-management/setup/db/schema-421to430.sql
java.sql.SQLException: You can't specify target table 'configuration'
for update in FROM clause

I've duplicated this multiple times.  It appears that the
cloudstack-setup-databases script configures an older database layout
and then has to run this script when it first starts.  But there are two
lines that are invalid, at least to MariaDB.

UPDATE `cloud`.`configuration` SET value = CONCAT("*.",(SELECT
`temptable`.`value` FROM (SELECT * FROM `cloud`.`configuration` WHERE
`name`="consoleproxy.url.domain") AS `temptable` WHERE
`temptable`.`name`="consoleproxy.url.domain")) WHERE
`name`="consoleproxy.url.domain";
UPDATE `cloud`.`configuration` SET `value` = CONCAT("*.",(SELECT
`temptable`.`value` FROM (SELECT * FROM `cloud`.`configuration` WHERE
`name`="secstorage.ssl.cert.domain") AS `temptable` WHERE
`temptable`.`name`="secstorage.ssl.cert.domain")) WHERE
`name`="secstorage.ssl.cert.domain";

That table is empty on a new install anyway (which may be the reason for
the error), so I commented them out.  Since it failed part way through,
it generates more errors.  So I've had to delete the databases and rerun
cloudstack-setup-databases and restart the service.

4. I download vhd-util to
/usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/vm/hypervisor/xenserver on the MS
before adding the XenServer, but it doesn't get copied to
/opt/xensource/bin.  I manually copy it and is then able to create the
system VMs.

5. After I setup the zone, I finally get the s- and v- VMs running. But
I'm not getting the CentOS built-in template.  It just says "Ready:
No".  If I login to the SSVM and look at /var/log/cloud.log, I see:

2014-05-19 22:29:59,143 INFO  [utils.nio.NioClient]
(Agent-Selector:null) Connecting to 10.19.40.81:8250
2014-05-19 22:29:59,147 ERROR [utils.nio.NioConnection]
(Agent-Selector:null) Unable to initialize the threads.
java.io.IOException: SSL: Fail to init SSL! java.io.IOException:
Connection closed with -1 on reading size.
         at com.cloud.utils.nio.NioClient.init(NioClient.java:84)
         at com.cloud.utils.nio.NioConnection.run(NioConnection.java:108)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

It happens over and over about every five seconds.  I'm guessing this is
the source of my problem.  If I run
/usr/local/cloud/systemvm/ssvm-check.sh, it reports everything is Good.
I haven't setup SSL in any fashion as it's an early PoC.

The Systems VM page shows both system VMs as up.  But the
management-server.log file prints this every 30 seconds:

2014-05-19 15:41:38,556 DEBUG [c.c.s.s.SecondaryStorageManagerImpl]
(secstorage-1:ctx-ed6e40a6) Zone 1 is ready to launch secondary storage VM

Any help with this last issue is greatly appreciated.  Again, this a
brand-new, unmodified installation.

Thanks,
  - Steve