cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: affinity group not work
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:55:48 GMT
Hi Saksham,

Interesting points, however the 'ExplicitDedication' approach may not meet Gokhans requirements.
 Gokhan wants to place specific VMs on Specific Hosts.  If you use the dedicated resources
feature you are suggesting, and dedicate Host 1 and Host 2 to an Account, they belong to a
common Affinity Group which will be labelled 'DedicatedGrp-[account name]' There will be no
Affinity Group called 'ExplicitDedication' which could confuse readers of this thread.  Further,
as the two Hosts will belong to the same Affinity Group, the user will have no control over
which Host each VM is allocated to as the VMs will be allocated to any Host in the Group.

Also, as you rightly point out, Affinity Groups are not supported for Projects.

Your second suggestion of using the 'Deployment Planner' feature within the Service Offering
set to ' ImplicitDedicationPlanner' will also not work as this will try and place the VMs
on Hosts with only VMs belonging to the same account.  Again this requires Hosts to be dedicated
to the Project (not supported) and will also potentially place the VMs on the same Host.

An alternative approach to using Hosts Tags which are very specific, would be to use the 'Deployment
Planner' feature within the Service Offering, but set to 'UserDispersingPlanner' with the
'Planner Mode' set to 'Strict'.  This should disperse the VMs across different Hosts, and
if it's not able to place them on unique Hosts, it will throw an error.

There is a 'but' - it appears that setting the 'strict' option for the Planner Mode when using
'UserDispersingPlanner' does not apply to the service offering when creating it via the UI,
however manually updating the 'service_offering_details' table afterwards does create the
required behaviour.

I need to look into this more to see if it is a bug in the UI or API.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com