cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jim Jones <cloudfanatic...@gmail.com>
Subject Primary Storage Migration on VMware
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 19:30:06 GMT
Hi,

I am wondering about the proper way to move running [production] VMs
completely off of a primary storage Datastore (LUN), so that the original
Datastore can be retired.

The environment is:
- CloudStack 4.2.0
- vCenter/ESXi 5.1
- Fiber channel HBA storage

I believe the high-level steps would be:
a. For each ESXi host: Add the new Datastore.
b. In CloudStack, add the new Primary Storage.
c. In CloudStack, initiate a live storage migration for each VM, to the new
Primary Storage.
d. Confirm that the original Datastore is completely empty.
e. In CloudStack, place the original Primary Storage into maintenance mode.
f. In CloudStack, remove the original Primary Storage.
g. For each ESXi host: Remove the original Datastore.

My questions are as follows:

1. Have I missed any high-level steps (above)?

2. It appears that the webGUI only offers volume-level storage migration.
How can I execute a live storage migration of an entire VM, with all its
associated files (including its root volume, data volume[s], and its
metadata files [VM directory, .vmx file, log files, etc.]?

3. I believe the answer to my second question will be to use API commands.
Would "migrateVirtualMachine" be the correct one to use?  Can anyone
provide an example to move the complete VM from one datastore to another,
while leaving it running on the same ESXi host?

4. What is the difference between the API commands "migrateVirtualMachine"
and "migrateVirtualMachineWithVolume".  When would one be used instead of
the other?

Thanks,
JJ