cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Trouble with adding network services
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:35:57 GMT
Matthew,

What you want to achieve is very possible, it's just the terms used can be a little confusing.

I believe you want to create a new network which will assign 'public' IPs directly to Guest
VMs.  In CloudStack, the 'Public' network is only used by System VMs and Virtual Routers so
you have to create a new Guest Network which used a new Public IP Address Range and allow
Guest VMs to use it via a Shared Network.

What you need to do is create a new 'shared' network, which will in fact be a 'guest' network,
but the Virtual Router will only provide DHCP, DNS, and UserData services, and will not act
as an actual Router.  Routing will be provided by a physical Router/L3 Switch.

1.  Allocate a new IP range and VLAN ID on your network infrastructure which will pass Internet
Live 'public' IPs down to the HyperVisors is a similar way the CloudStack Public Traffic is
handled.
2.  Identify which CloudStack Physical Network this VLAN is mapped to, this will be needed
in step 5
3.  When creating the new Network, set the scope to either 'All' (every user in the Zone)
or a speciic Account or Domain (I'm guessing you want to use the All option)
4.  Ensure you have chosen the Network Offering of 'Offering for Shared Networks'
5.  Ensure you chose the 'Physical Network' which your new IP range is mapped to
6.  Enter the VLAN ID used in step 1
7.  Enter the appropriate IP information in the Network Offering, note the IPv4 Gateway will
be the IP of the Physical Router/L3 Switch which is terminating the new Public IP Range

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com