cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Shanker Balan <shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: SSVM cannot ping DNS
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:21:31 GMT
Hi Ameen,

NOTE: Reply is addressed to the users@ list.

On 21-Apr-2014, at 11:49 pm, Ameen Ali <rootameen@gmail.com<mailto:rootameen@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Thank you for your reply Mr. Balan

Let me clearify a few things about my setup.

1. All my setup is happening inside vMware Workstation. That includes my management server
and my hosts.

I am not familiar with a vmware workstation environment.

2. My setup was a basic zone not an advanced zone, but I can switch if nessecary,

No, lets get basic working first.

3. My Xen host had 1 interface only (eth0 although when I ifconfig it I have xenbr0 as well).
I tried adding another interface but it doesn't show up on the console.

xenbr0 is the bridge to eth0.

4. I tried adding the traffic labels, I am not entirely sure if I did them the right way or
not:

a) First, I added the labels in the zone.
b) I used the command: xe network-list on my XenServer host, I took the uuid of xenbr0 and
set it to cloud-public using the command xe network-param-set and adding the uuid and label.
Then I added xenapi add cloud-private but after I ran the cloud and I got the ssvm to run
I had something new called xapi1 as  link local network so I switched cloud-private to it.

5. Since I'm using vMware's network. I had the following setup in my zone:

Guest CIDR: 172.16.96.0/24<http://172.16.96.0/24>
cloud-private traffic type Management: 172.16.96.150-200
cloud-public: 172.16.96.120-140

I am not familiar with vmWare workstation so I cant offer any specific solutions.
However, in order for nested VMs to work correctly, you might require
the networks settings on the vmware/virtualbox platform to allow promiscous mode.

Can you find such an option (or similar) option? Allowing promiscous mode
might just get the network working.

Regards.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
shanker.balan@shapeblue.com<mailto:shanker.balan@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>
| Twitter:@shapeblue
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560
055

28th-29th May 2014, Bangalore. Classromm<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
15th-20th September 2014, Region A. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
22nd-27th September 2014, Region B. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>