cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack monitoring
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:52:25 GMT
The devops community is big on open source monitoring tools.
You might want to check this post:

http://www.krisbuytaert.be/blog/love-monitoringlove

A bit dated but has links and leads to lots of various software components that people stitch
together to get their monitoring infrastructure.

On Apr 23, 2014, at 3:50 PM, Juan Gomez <juan.gomez@kumo.com.co> wrote:

> Thank you willard for your answer, we know Zenoss is a good product but we want to explore
other alternatives, could you or anyone elaborate on the pros and cons of the different monitoring
products that are available?

> Thank You
> Juan Gomez
>
> De: Willard Rathjen <willard.rathjen@appcore.com<mailto:willard.rathjen@appcore.com>>
> Responder a: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:users@cloudstack.apache.org>"
<users@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:users@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Fecha: miércoles, 23 de abril de 2014 1:53 p.m.
> Para: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:users@cloudstack.apache.org>" <users@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:users@cloudstack.apache.org>>
> Asunto: Re: Cloudstack monitoring
>
> My organization uses Zenoss as our monitoring solution. We leverage the good, but horribly
documented, API to automate the addition/deletion of new VM’s/devices. Minimizing the management
requirements of the monitoring solution. Aside from Zenoss, Zabbix, Nagios, and Pandora are
all good choices. Each, has their pro’s and con’s.

> You’re always going to face management problems in a public cloud. one quick and dirty
way to ensure easy management would be to enable SNMP polling on all of your templates and
monitor your entire public block. It’s lazy, but it would minimize the time need to manage
new VM’s in your monitoring solution.

> Willard Rathjen
> Cloud Systems Engineer
>
> Office +1.800.735.7104 | Direct +1.515.612.7813
> willard.rathjen@appcore.com<mailto:willard.rathjen@appcore.com> | www.appcore.com

> The information in this message is intended for the named recipients only. It may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, do not print it or disseminate it or its contents.
In such event, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the e-mail file immediately
thereafter. Thank you.

> On Apr 23, 2014, at 1:37 PM, Juan Gomez <juan.gomez@kumo.com.co<mailto:juan.gomez@kumo.com.co>>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> Im looking for a Cloudstack monitoring solution to use in a production environment for
Kumo a public cloud service provider in Colombia, currently we use Zenoss but we want to change
to a different solution, does anyone can recommend any solution , product , service anything?
 it does not matter if it is open source or not. Or do anyone have any insight on how monitoring
should be done in cloudstack?