cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gowar <...@whiteheat.org.uk>
Subject Re: Waiting some more to make sure there's no activity on VM
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 13:15:06 GMT
I'm now testing DR by pulling the power on hypervisors.

My first test took 3 minutes for CS to register, and for the UI to
update.  None of the VMs on that host had HA enabled, so also went down.
When I powered the host up, CS registered the change, but the VMs
remained down, I can imagine this is a desired default behavour.  Is it
possible to tag specific instances to power on when host returns?

I created an HA instance.

My 2nd test took the same 3 minutes to register.  All non HA instances
went down, and the HA enabled instance attempted to migrate.  The SSVM
had to migrate first, and then the virtual router, but it hasn't and
again more flooding the logs with these:-

Waiting some more to make sure there's no activity on VM[DomainRouter|
r-4-VM]

It appears the HA instance will not start until the domain router does,
I assume this would therefore make all HA instances redundant until it's
back online.. is there a way to avoid this single point of failure?

Current cluster: 2x hypervisor, 1x NFS, 1x Management, 3x Ceph cluster

Regards,
Jon

On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 12:07 +0100, Jonathan Gowar wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-04-08 at 20:22 +0000, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> > If these were new VMs on a new guest network it's possible that the VR took a long
time to start (poor secondary storage performance) so the VMs timed out.