cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: New to CS, some prep questions
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:59:16 GMT
On 26.03.2014 14:42, Talk Jesus wrote:
> I'd like to set up a public cloud for web hosting (cloud shared
> hosting,
> cloud vps, cloud servers) for a new venture.

Hi, see below.

> Server #1
>
> Purpose: CloudStack Control Panel Install (Management Server)
>
> Qty: 1
>
> Dual Hexacore CPUs
>
> 32-64GB RAM
>
> 4 x 160GB SAS (RAID10)

This is OVERKILL if you ask me. I'd go with smaller, multiple servers.
I for one have a 2 (for HA) management servers in the form of VMs, 2 GB
RAM each, they're mostly idle, even one would have been enough.
Use this hardware for hypervisors.

> Server #2
>
> Purpose: Hypervisors (Memory) (is it better to simply have a singular,
> beefed up CPU/Memory Management Server as above or separate from
> management
> node?)
>
> Qty: 1 or 2, plus 1 for failover
>
> Dual Hexacore CPUs
>
> 128GB RAM
>
> 2 x 160GB SATA RAID1

Sounds good. Judging by the small HDDs I imagine you are using a
SAN/NAS for storage.

It's better (IMHO) to have multiple management servers, see what I
wrote above.

> Server #3
>
> Purpose: Backup Server
>
> Qty: 1
>
> Dual Hexacore CPUs
>
> 16GB RAM
>
> 12 x 2TB SAS RAID5 or RAID10

Looks perfect for Secondary Storage.

> With cloud hosting, what would the difference be between a "cloud vps"
> and
> "cloud dedicated server"? If I'm not mistaken, they're the same,
> except the
> allowance for a 'dedicated server' option would be much higher, right?

Never heard of "cloud vps" before.
No matter how you want to call them they are still virtual machines,
these words are just marketing, nothing more. Everyone is free to market
their products as they wish, there is no standard.

> Last question: does anyone use this for automated provisioning with
> WHMCS or
> do you recommend a better software?

Not me.

HTH